The first Call for Project Proposals for the Off Grid Clean Energy Facility (OCEF) in Benin has been launched on February 22, 2018 and will close on May 22, 2018. OCEF is a challenge fund which provides grant financing to proven, sustainable, off-grid clean energy projects in Benin.
This first Call for Proposal will provide grants totalling 12 million USD for 12 to 15 projects and is open for organizations to submit a proposal under the following windows:
- Off-grid energy for essential public infrastructure (min 500.000 USD, max 2 million USD);
- Household energy systems (min 500.000 USD, max 2 million);
- Support to business models for implementation of energy efficiency measures by public institutions, households and commercial and industrial users (min 100.000 USD, max 1 million).
Project proposals must favour:
- economic activities (generating employment possibilities);
- access of poorest households to electricity (e.g. micro-finance).
- The applicant must be Beninese or with (the intention to have) operations/activities in Benin. If the applicant is an international NGO or with headquarters elsewhere, it is recommended to connect to national partners.
- A minimum of 25% of costs should be shouldered by the applying candidate, who is encouraged to contribute up to 75% (commercial parties are recommended to aim to target at least 50%). This could possibly also be in kind.
- All applications must be submitted in French. All documents related to the Calls for Proposals are likewise edited in French.
A second call will be launched in 2018 to exhaust the remaining funds.
Organizations looking for an international or local partner in connection with their project are encouraged to visit the OCEF partnership platform on ocef.bj to search for partners with the purpose of financing and implementing off-grid energy or energy efficiency projects in Benin as consortia.
For more information on criteria and how to apply, please visit the website www.ocef.bj.